Sunday, May 23, 2010

A's vs. Giants

So today is the conclusion of the first series of games this season between the Oakland Athletics and San Francisco Giants. As a Bay Area fan of both franchises, I can just sit back and enjoy whatever happens. I am the kind of person that could easily wear one of those hats that is split down the middle with the logos and colors of each team on either side (loyalty-wise that is, they do look kind of goofy). Somehow, I can't imagine the two Chicago teams having hats like this. Only in the Bay Area, I suppose.

But for the players, it's different. If the cross-Bay rival isn't just like any other opponent, there might even be an extra 'something' into wanting to beat them. And fans like me are probably looked at as odd (if not something much worse). How can we possibly like both? It's gotta be one or the other... show some gumption and pick a side already! In some cases, fans of one or the other have chosen to HATE their other-league rival. I recall reading about some Giants fans who actually rooted for the Dodgers to beat the A's when they were pitted against each other in the World Series. Wow, the feelings run that deep, do they? Then again, I remember rooting for the Dodgers to beat the Yankees when they were in the World Series. And believe me, I don't like the Dodgers. Growing up, I remember wishing they would go a season with a win-loss record of 0-162. I've lightened up a bit since then and think of myself as a 'Dodger-disliker.' Tommy Lasorda. Steve Garvey. Blechhh.

Back to the A's and Giants. All I really desire when they play against each other is there be no sweeps. As I think they always play three-game series (interleague play and all), I suppose that the closest compromise possible is that one team wins two and the other wins one. And then a perfectly even split for the season series.

No comments:

Post a Comment