Wednesday, September 23, 2009

widescreen format

One of my favorite films is The Guns of Navarone starring Gregory Peck, David Niven, and Anthony Quinn. It is a film from 1961 about a group of commandos during World War II whose mission it is to destroy an installation of massive guns that overlooks the Aegean Sea. There is a scene in which three of the characters are shown sitting in the front of a truck, speaking of past hurts and their plans for after the war. What I can't recall is ever seeing all three of them at the same time in this emotional scene.

Which reminds me of the time I tried watching the film The Graduate, but getting dizzy. In fact I got so dizzy this one time, I had to find something else to watch. Watching films re-sized for television screens and then being subjected to the 'pan-and-scan' technique often does this to me - the camera is in constant motion trying to capture the most important part of each scene, and The Graduate suffered more than most films from this. I've wondered if the directors themselves have anything to do with just how this technique is used - if not, they ought to be. After all, it's their vision and unless they can be assured that their creations are only seen in widescreen format, then they should be involved in how their films are seen in television format too.

Then again, television screens have gotten so big over the years, shouldn't movies only be shown in widescreen format?

As for the scene in the truck, sometimes scenes are truncated entirely. Hopefully the next time I watch The Guns of Navarone, it'll be on DVD and as it was originally filmed in widescreen movie format so I can see how the one character reacts to hearing that another character plans to kill him after the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment