Thursday, September 24, 2009

some R & R

This morning, I saw the list of nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Class of 2010, and did a search on Google to see what additional information I could find. I found a nice page with brief bios and musical excerpts of each nominee on the website of the Rock and Roll HOF.

Naturally I was excited to see that ABBA was included (I wrote about them in a previous entry called the beauty and the cutie); what surprised me was what I learned about Laura Nyro. Her name was already familiar to me for composing Eli's Coming, recorded by Three Dog Night, but that was it.

Among the many records that were around for me to listen to while growing up were an album or two by the Fifth Dimension. In particular, I can picture the cover of their greatest hits which included the songs Stoned Soul Picnic and Wedding Bell Blues, both as it turns out, written by Laura Nyro. Another song of hers is And When I Die, which was recorded by Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

As I mentioned before, I love finding out these new bits of information, especially about music!

No comments:

Post a Comment