Wednesday, September 2, 2009

my bad grammar

I read recently that the word 'ginormous' is in the latest edition of Webster's Dictionary. Really? I suppose it sounded hip and inventive when people first started saying it, but to acknowledge the word by putting it into print makes it official or something. And just where does it compare with words such as huge and large? Is it bigger than enormous but smaller than gigantic? Do we really need another word to denote something that's big?

More examples:

Anyhoo? Or is it anywho? Horton Hears a Who?

And 'my bad.' Is that supposed to mean my mistake? Whenever I hear 'my bad,' I need to complete the phrase by adding the word grammar to it.

A popular phrase is 'it is what it is.' Actually, this one I kind of like, but I still add to it: "It is what it is. It was what it was. It's going to be what it's going to be. And if a=b and b=c, then a=c."

And the movie "Moon Over Parador"... I guess it sounded better than "Moon Over Equaguay." Hey, I just now discovered the word 'portmanteau'!



No comments:

Post a Comment