Saturday, August 18, 2012

someone like you

There appear to be two schools of thought when it comes to the way the hit song 'Someone Like You' is sung by Adele: there is the recorded version where she sings the lines "don't forget me, I beg" while reaching for high notes, which is how some people prefer it, and then there are the live versions I have found on YouTube where she sings those same lines with lower notes; I am firmly in the former camp. 

I was so used to hearing the recorded version that I assumed she would always sing it that way live, but no matter how much I've searched online, she just doesn't hit those high notes live that I expect to hear. At first I attributed it to the health challenges she'd had with her vocal chords, but then I also learned that her vocal chords were fine, and that she could hit all her high notes again. So I kept looking for more recent live performances of the song, and nope, she wouldn't go that high anymore. And for me, her hitting them was the finishing touch to that song. 

Some so-called experts in her singing voice have even criticized her (I remember once reading how some people don't think Barbra Streisand sings correctly either... ??), but there's such a vulnerability in that part of the song that makes it for me. Oh well, I'll always have the recorded version to listen to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment