Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lakers do it again

When you make a list of the centers that the Los Angeles Lakers have had over the years, it's impressive: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal... at least, those are the first that come to my mind. And now they've got Dwight Howard. Is it any wonder they've been so good for so long? 

Most teams decry the lack of good big men that are available, and yet somehow the Lakers manage to get some of the very best to ever play the game. As a Warriors fan, it's not only impressive, it's disgusting. I mean, Wilt the Stilt, the Sky Hook (I don't know what Kareem's nickname was, but I always think first of his sky hook), Shaq, and for the foreseeable future, Superman. Ack. 

And just to take it that little bit further, when you need that little bit more and take it to '11,' you can think back to when the Lakers were from Minneapolis: they had George Mikan too. A bit before my time, but yet another Hall-of-Fame all-time center.

Throw in Jerry West, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, yada, yada, yada... wait a minute, just for my sanity, let's limit this to a discussion of centers. And end this discussion...right...now. 

I'm getting a headache. 

No comments:

Post a Comment