Monday, October 3, 2011

game 4 - 49ers vs. Eagles

Big, big win! And I missed most of the excitement. I did manage to see the 49ers fall behind 23 - 3 though. Maybe they play better when I don't watch. After the game, when I came back to my computer to find out the final result, I was so heartened to see the score!

While I was listening to the radio this morning, I was reminded of something that happened at the end of the second quarter that I had forgotten about. The 49ers had the ball short of midfield, time was running down to the last few seconds of the first half, and head coach Jim Harbaugh called a time-out as most of the players started running towards the locker rooms. Come back everybody! One more play (?). Was it so the Niners could throw a hail-Mary pass or something? No, they just ran the ball for several yards, after which everybody could then head in for half-time.

It made little sense at the time, I mean, what was the point of that? Well, looking at how the 49ers made up a 20-point deficit in the second half and pulled out a victory, Harbaugh was impressing a lesson on his team. Something about having a blue-collar work ethic and playing hard without compromise. Excellent message, Coach!

Another valuable lesson that came from this game is learning how to prevail even with questionable calls by the officials. Last game, it was a befuddling call against Michael Crabtree for stepping outside of the playing field and then being the first to touch the ball, a touch of the ball that happened to be a rather spectacular touchdown catch. Looking at the delayed replays, it seemed he clearly never stepped outside of the end zone before making his grab. Then in yesterday's game, an Eagle defender very noticeably pushed himself up to try and block a field goal attempt by stepping on another player's body, I think in this case, up off of the 49ers center after he snapped the ball. The replay showed an official with his head pointed right at it as it happened, and yet, no call. Our kicker may well have kicked the ball a little to the side to avoid being blocked by this unusually high leaping player and therefore kicked the ball just wide of the uprights. I can handle botched plays, but I can't stand botched calls by the officiating crews. I hope the league office provides some answers for all the bad calls made in games.

Back to the happy, happy, joy, joy though. I've tried to catch what highlights I could and though I've been able to see the actual touchdown scores made late in the game and the crucial play by Justin Smith that caused the decisive Eagle fumble, I've read about other key plays that led to the San Francisco victory. Rookie running back Kendall Hunter and receiver Michael Crabtree had great games, as did many other players. 1st-round draft pick Aldon Smith sacked the elusive Michael Vick, who throughout the first half seemed as slippery as a fish.

Before the end of the game, a cousin of mine told me that an Eagles scribe was so certain of an Eagles victory that he'd ride his bicycle home if they lost. Happy peddling Philly fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment