Wednesday, October 26, 2011

reading is fun

For several months now, I've been using a stationary bicycle to up my fitness level. It's my bicycle propped up on a stand for the purpose of making it a stationary bicycle. I'm not comfortable riding it outside. I'm such a homebody.

It's not necessarily to up my fitness level either, but more specifically in an effort to improve my blood levels. I guess it's helping my health overall though. I'm up to 30 minutes a day.

What's difficult for me is what to do with my mind as I'm peddling. My strength is slowly improving and I've been able to pedal at more strenuous gears, so that's nice. But it's kind of boring. I know, if I rode it outside, that wouldn't be so much of a problem anymore; I'd rather deal with the boredom, thank you.

And how do I do that? By reading! Left to it's own devices, my mind will try to keep me otherwise occupied, then when I check my timer, only about 3 minutes has elapsed. Ugh. But when I read a book, 10-15 minutes has elapsed by the time I check the timer. It'd be even better if I had some sort of bookstand attached to the handlebars so I didn't have to hold the book with my hands, which leaves me in an awkward position which leaves my buttocks kind of sore - but that's getting picky. It's good to have the time pass more quickly... hmmm... however if I did have a stand to hold my book, then I'd probably be willing to go 45 minutes at a time.

In any case, the moral of the story would be that old saying, "Time flies when you're having fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment