Monday, October 10, 2011

game 5 - Buccaneers vs. 49ers

Did that really happen? I'm worried that I just woke up from the most marvelous of dreams and the game between the Buccaneers and the 49ers, in actuality, has yet to begin. But for now, I'll let myself believe that the game was in fact played yesterday and the 49ers really did defeat Tampa Bay 48 - 3.

Obviously, I really like the attitude that Coach Harbaugh has instilled in the team. It's a process and they're good but they need to get better - better tomorrow than today, and even better the day after that. All this after the oft-mentioned shortened off-season and a new coaching staff and game-plan to install. It feels like the most exhilarating of trajectories and they're only getting started! And yes, I realize it's only 5 games into the season with 11 more to go.

In keeping with what I've read about Coach Harbaugh's approach, last week's come-from-behind victory over the Philadelphia Eagles had me coming up with this analogy: if winning the Super Bowl is akin to climbing Mt. Everest, then last week's win put the 49ers solidly at base camp. Considering where the Niners have been the last 10 years, that's quite an accomplishment right there. It means that they are serious about climbing to the top. But that's all it is - base camp. With yesterday's sound victory? The team is beyond base camp! Yay! And now the real challenge begins. The air will get thinner and things will only get more treacherous. They'll need to forge through the rest of the season and qualify for the playoffs before they'll even be able to see the summit. Keep improving guys, it's all within your desire.

********

And how about that Alex Smith? He's showing why he was picked #1 overall in the 2005 NFL Draft - it just took the right coaching and game-planning. I'm so happy for him to be able to prove his capability to the masses. I've certainly been waiting, er, more like hoping, for this to happen. There were those times I threw my hands up in the air and gave up on him. I'm so glad he didn't give up on himself, and so glad that Jim Harbaugh recognized his potential. Not only did Alex Smith lead the unofficial practices during the lock-out, he showed class in wanting to help out understudy Colin Kaepernick too. He could have shunned the newly drafted quarterback, but instead applied himself to being the best he could be. I know the season is still young, but it's encouraging all the same.

********

I'm hoping someday everybody, as in all opposing coaches, will ask Coach Harbaugh after being soundly defeated, "What's your deal?"

No comments:

Post a Comment