Thursday, March 31, 2011

football more than baseball

Wow, do I pay attention to football more than baseball! The NFL Draft begins on April 28th, which I've known for months; the baseball season starts a little earlier than I mentioned in yesterday's blog entry - it starts today!

I wonder if I should admit this but I like the NFL Draft so much, I might even like it more than... football itself. There's something about the anticipation and the potential of newly drafted players, a sense of optimism for the seasons to come (if this collective bargaining agreement mess ever gets settled) that's sometimes better than actually going through the reality of the football season. I'd rather dream.

And getting back to baseball, I read in today's paper that a Giants fan has spent $1000 for a small plane to pull a banner over Dodger Stadium today that says something like "The Dodgers suck..." in its brief message.
As much as I don't like the Dodgers, I really disagree with doing this. It's their opening day after all (it is a Giants-Dodgers game), and if it's supposed to be a reaction to mistreatment by Dodger fans all these years, why not be better than them? Why not show a little class (if you want to think silently to yourself "Dodgers suck!" - then fine). They've still won more World Series championships than the Giants, at least since the move to the West Coast, and besides it smacks of desperation and bitterness.

********

I think I saw a female Allen's (or rufous) hummingbird this morning - their flight is quiet compared to the whistle that the male counterparts of their species make. I hope it was what I think it was; I just don't see them enough anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment