Wednesday, March 23, 2011

breathtaking beauty


Early this morning, I heard on the radio that Academy Award-winning actress and screen legend Elizabeth Taylor had passed away. There will surely be coverage in all of the media in the days to come, such as pages dedicated to her life and career in many magazines. As for today's blog entry, I'll just go over some of my own thoughts about her.

The guys on the radio this morning mentioned that those under 30-years of age would for the most part be unfamiliar with her; I'd have to agree, as I didn't know much about her when I was younger. I'd heard her name, sure, back in the 1970's, but didn't really know what all of the fuss was until I looked at pictures of her when she was young. WOW!

I remember when I was in my twenties, I'd go to an occasional antique show in San Mateo with my cousin - not really knowing what to do with myself in such a place (I went mostly to give my cousin some company), it wasn't difficult to while away the time looking for photos of Ms. Taylor. And then when ebay came along, I found myself bidding on photos of her. It's so fitting that she once portrayed Helen of Troy!

There was also a time, back before DVDs, when I started a mini-collection of her movies on VHS.
I ended up getting no more than half a dozen ... I'd have to say that my two favorites are A Place in the Sun (with Montgomery Clift) and Giant (with Rock Hudson and James Dean). If you're familiar with A Place in the Sun, sometimes when I think of the young and ravishing Elizabeth Taylor, the name 'Vickers' flashes over and over in my mind too!

No comments:

Post a Comment