Tuesday, April 5, 2011

small ball and athletes

Roll my eyes and shake my head... that's what I end up doing when I hear sports announcers describe a basketball team as having gone small with their lineup. A lineup whose height averages, what, something like 6 feet- 7 inches tall? Maybe as 'short' as 6 feet- 5 inches?

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but wasn't Nate Archibald (former NBA point guard) given the nickname of 'Tiny'? All 6 feet plus of him? I know, I know, basketball players are often 6 feet- 10 inches and taller, so it's all relative, but it's still tough for me to hear.

********

With the NFL Draft fast approaching, it's interesting to read that a prospective draft pick is not athletic. What's that supposed to mean? I have yet to hear what a non-athletic athlete is. Maybe it's too subjective to define and it's simply a matter of swiftness or something, but as long as they make plays and help the team win, I really don't care how athletic they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment