Friday, April 29, 2011

after the first day of the draft...

After the 49ers made their first pick of the draft, I was thinking: "Who?" "What?" "Aldon Smith?"

Not what I was expecting after the first six picks were made, so I started looking him up online - and now, I'm happy! Going into this draft (as I have been training myself to do over the last several drafts), I was prepared to accept whatever decision the 49ers brass made, so I didn't flip out or slap my head when his name was announced as many other Niners fans apparently did.

Aldon Smith was not on my radar at all; I only recognized his name as being one of the two Smiths (Tyron is the other, an offensive lineman drafted by the Dallas Cowboys two picks later) mocked to be taken in the first half of the first round. Good for the Niners for keeping their plans such a secret.

One thing I've noticed from the past two drafts, this year and last, is GM Trent Baalke sticks to his guns when he wants a particular player. Last year, he gave up a 4th-round pick just to move up two spots in the first round from 13 to 11 so he could take offensive tackle Anthony Davis. Baalke didn't want to take any chances even at such a price. He saw his player and moved up to get him. Similar to this year and Aldon Smith (if Alex Smith comes back, will they have their first and last names printed on the back of their jerseys?); Baalke couldn't safely trade back and still make sure he got Smith. Some people called drafting him a 'reach' but as the old cliche goes, it takes two to tango; it seems Baalke couldn't find a suitable trading partner, so he just stayed pat and got his man, who was projected to be taken just three or so picks later anyway.

And now the second day of the draft - how fun is that? What will they do? Move up to get one of their targeted quarterbacks? Sit and wait and take a cornerback when their turn comes... maybe they've already decided that their best bet is to resign Alex Smith or some other veteran free agent quarterback, if and when that is allowed to happen by the league. Maybe they are going to do this or do that... I don't know! Nobody knows, not even them because it depends on what happens with all the other teams. Only the nose knows. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment