Monday, December 27, 2010

Week 16 - 49ers vs. Rams

Well, a loss isn't just a loss, but a new regime for the 49ers... Mike Singletary was let go as head coach of the team after yesterday's game. In losing to the St. Louis Rams, the Niners were officially eliminated from playoff contention which was tenuous at best anyway. Considering it was highly unlikely that even had the Niners made the playoffs that they would have gone very deep, it was probably for the best future-wise.

Will I be rooting for the 49ers to win next week's game? Of course I will! I rooted for them to win yesterday - it's instinctive. "You play to win the game" - Herm Edwards.

It will be an interesting time watching a new head coach on the sidelines and I wonder where the team's emotions are going to be. Will they play more loosely and driven? On the other hand, just like yesterday, there will be an easy fall-back going on in my mind... if they lose, I can't help but think, it could only help their draft status in next year's draft. And next year, there is likely to be a clear cut number one choice, Andrew Luck of Stanford (should he choose to leave school early). He is a prospect at quarterback, the likes of which isn't seen too often. For the 49ers to have even the remotest chance of drafting him, the stars would really have to align (Luck declaring this year, draft day trades, etc.). Then again, with the season yet to finish, any thoughts are wayyy too premature.

Strange how much things can change in just the course of one season. I can still picture in my mind a team function that was put on for the fans before the season began. It was team president Jed York, Coach Mike Singletary, newly appointed man in charge of the draft Trent Baalke, and one or two others on stage for a sort of team pep rally. And Coach Singletary got the most rousing ovation - I think many fans stood up and clapped for him (I watched on television). After an 8-8 season and expectations of even more improvement, it was such a time full of promise and visions of a team headed for greatness...

And then the team crashed and burned. And Singletary fired before the end of the season.

I watched today's press conference that featured Jed York making the formal announcement of Singletary's firing and the promotion of coach Jim Tomsula to interim head coach. And I remain impressed with Jed York as the leader of the team, his resolve and poise in the face of difficult circumstances. Throughout this tough season, many people have blamed him most of all for the team's difficulties. But I can see his desire to improve the team and make the right choices; he's still learning on the job himself. And most of all, for my own peace of mind at least, I can see a lot of his uncle Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. in him. As long as Jed doesn't go crazy and want to change the team logo, I am confident things will turn out all right!

No comments:

Post a Comment