Thursday, December 30, 2010

electric cars

The other day, there was an article about a new electric car called the Triac. I love the idea of electric cars and anything that reduces our dependence on oil and reduces the pollution generated by combustion engines, although I am wary of whatever other problems and challenges may arise as a result. In the case of electric cars, I wonder: what becomes of the batteries after they have outlived their usefulness? is electricity easily enough generated to recharge these vehicles? But all in all, it seems to be the right direction in which to go.

In my case though, I'm afraid that I'd be too self-conscious to drive around in a vehicle as conspicuous as the Triac - it's awfully unique looking. Perhaps someday when there are many more on the road, I'd be comfortable being seen in one, but I know that for awhile, vehicles such as that would get many looks and nearly just as many people pointing. The Prius is unique enough; why can't hybrid/electric cars be designed to look more traditional?

Now in my Utopian vision, I'd be okay if everyone drove around in electric vehicles. Then I wouldn't stand out for driving something that looked so odd, and wouldn't it be nice if we all drove cars that didn't spew smog into the air and weren't such a big part of our dependence on foreign oil (and all the political and war-related conflicts that come with that?). As long as they are safe to drive around and aren't worse for our environment than cars already are... including after they are put out to junkyards, the aforementioned used and dead batteries, etc. the world could be a better place. Maybe someday, the technology will be such that electric vehicles will be large enough for practical uses such as moving trucks and cement mixers - I know a lot of people would take one look at an electric car and think, "What can you get done with that?" It's a good start though.

No comments:

Post a Comment