Friday, April 6, 2012

Worst. President. Ever.

When someone says that Barrack Obama is the worst president ever, I want to ask them: "Okay... so who would you say are the worst 2 through 5?"

Because I'd want to find out just how much they've thought this through. There have been 44 administrations and 43 different presidents. Where would Andrew Johnson rate on this list of the worst? He succeeded Abraham Lincoln and was impeached. Would the entire list consist of the same party? 

The same would go for those who have cited George W. Bush as the worst president ever. Would the worst presidents ever to serve our country just happen to be all Republicans? 

I've read people being critical of Obama for coming up with his own bracket for March Madness in the men's college basketball tournament, saying that he shouldn't do things like that until the country is fixed. The same things were said whenever Bush took a vacation. 

I would want to ask a staunch Democrat to name five admirable things that the more recent Bush accomplished while in office. And could a conservative Republican come up with five good things accomplished during the Clinton Administration? Objectively speaking? Or is being objective even possible? 

I'd feel better about and have more respect for such strong statements if I knew they were well thought out, instead of sounding like the spouting of a party line. I might also ask: "Conversely, how would you rate the top 5 administrations?" I'd wonder if a member of the Whig Party made either of the best or worst lists. How about the Federalist John Adams? Where does he rank? 

I get particularly frustrated by (our two-party) partisan politics when there's no attempt at objectivity at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment