Friday, April 20, 2012

naming PDFs

Sometimes I come across PDFs that I download and are therefore saved on my computer. Which is all fine and well - thank you for making them available. I'm sure a lot of time and effort was invested in making them. But just like any file, shouldn't there be as much care put into naming them?

For example, I might want to save a file from this month's issue of a local environmental newsletter and it's given the name: April 2012 newsletter.pdf  First of all, let's say I save each issue each month for as many years as it's being created. Even if I put all of them into their own folder, they're going to be saved alphabetized, so therefore all of the Aprils will be next to each other, then the Augusts, then the Decembers, etc.

Wouldn't it be more helpful to first of all put the name of the organization or subject first in the file name? Then if I didn't take the time to put them in their own separate folder, they'd be easier to identify. Next would be the year, in this case, '2012.' And then a '4' (for April), and finally the word 'April.'

This is just the top of my head, as I've never created PDFs and made them available to be downloaded. But I'm sure I would make better use of the ones I've saved over the years if I instantly recognized what they were based on their names and had a sense of order for the ones that are part of a series.

Based on the naming convention I've outlined above, these files would be listed as: 

CCC Native Plants 2012 1 January.pdf
CCC Native Plants 2012 2 February.pdf
CCC Native Plants 2012 3 March.pdf
CCC Native Plants 2012 4 April.pdf
CCC Native Plants 2012 5 May.pdf   and so on... 

If I'm missing some particulars about creating PDFs, please forgive me, but I think the general point I'm making is valid. Please, folks, make the extra effort while naming your PDFs!

No comments:

Post a Comment