Friday, February 10, 2012

the willows

Yesterday I had lunch with a couple of my siblings. We went to a local shopping center for some delicious Indian-Pakistani food. What caught my attention outside were the landscaping choices: plants that are suitable for the Mediterranean climate, many of which are California natives and several that I have in my garden too: Chaparral currant (flowering currant), Ceanothus 'Concha' (California lilac), Salvia spathacea (hummingbird sage), and perhaps some I have forgotten. There were also various other natives such as a Manzanita, which I hope flowers since mine haven't yet.

What was also impressive were the signs that were posted in each planting area that described the different plants, all of which were designated as UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars. I've been up to Davis, about an hour away, and visited their splendid arboretum, which was a peaceful and yet vibrant space to walk through. I'd heard of their list of All-Stars before, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them featured in one of the spaces of Concord's Willows Shopping Center. 

I don't know how long ago this space was planted, but the plants looked young so I will be curious as to how well they do as the seasons go by. Their demands will be much lower and I hope that they don't get overwatered or overfertilized. Too much of either would actually be detrimental to their health. They should also attract lots of insect and bird life, which will further enliven them. In my experience, the bees, birds, etc. keep to themselves and have never bothered me, so they shouldn't bother the shoppers. 

One note though to whomever it may concern: I noticed also the hummingbird feeder near one of the plantings. The nectar was dyed red... food coloring is not necessary and there may even be a slight chance of harming the little birds' systems. The red coloring on the feeder itself is enough to attract our little friends! 

I am so excited to see a shopping center go in the direction I have been a proponent of... or to use a popular catch phrase: "That's what I'm talking about!"

No comments:

Post a Comment