Tuesday, February 21, 2012

in the armor

Some thoughts about the brouhaha surrounding the most unfortunate choice of headline accompanying a story about Jeremy Lin and the New York Knicks' recent loss to the New Orleans Hornets: 

Many things come to mind from this; I recall some years ago a man whom I respect and admire, retired General Colin Powell, once referred to Chinese people as "Chinamen" in a comment about the global economy and home shopping. And one of my favorite sitcoms ('Everybody Loves Raymond') used the word "Chinamen" and no one corrected the character Frank Barrone for saying it. In the former case, if Gen. Colin Powell says he didn't know it was an offensive word, then that's good enough for me since I believe he was genuine in his explanation. As for Frank Barrone, well, that certainly sounded enough like his character to say it, but I would have liked another member of the family to correct him with "Chinese soldiers" or something like that. I found it kind of offensive, but I don't think it was an intentional slight on the show's part. 

Now I don't know much about the ESPN editor who came up with the "Chink in the Armor" headline, but apparently he insists he wasn't aware of the racist implications of the word "Chink" and that word has been used freely in that particular phrase many times before as being synonymous with "Achilles heel" (which would have been a much better choice of words in this instance!). It is unfortunate that this editor lost his job if he was truly completely unaware of the gaffe; is he of a younger generation that has never seen the word used derogatorily before?

I've read some comments to this news story and I'm sure many people feel it's such a common phrase ("chink in the armor") that any racist connotations are completely imagined. However, even when it's been simply used to refer to a point of weakness, I've cringed a little. I hate to see or hear the word, no matter how it's used. 

As an example, which also is more than a little uncomfortable, here's another word that makes me bristle... in fact, I'll begin with its definition from a dictionary first: "grudgingly mean about spending or granting; BEGRUDGING" - the word is niggardly. I once saw it used on TV by a sports commentator and then later heard him having to explain and defend his use of the word. Used in context, sure, it may take several other words to say the same thing, but still, it sounds enough like a truly despicable word that it's perhaps best not used at all. Now imagine the word 'niggardly' used in a large headline right next to a picture of an African-American athlete. Maybe the word is being used correctly, but it would still be a slap in the face to see something as abhorrent as that.

From my own experience, I look back to my 21st birthday. Luckily my birthday fell either on a Friday or a Saturday that year and I had family come down to San Luis Obispo to help me celebrate. We were walking downtown as we went looking for places for me to try a few new drinks when we found ourselves walking towards a small group of other students, none of them 'racial minorities.' And one said so we could all hear him, "Looks like it's getting a little nippy out here." At the moment he said it, I didn't take offense because it was my birthday, but my brother-in-law at the time knew it was a pointed comment at our ethnicity. Looking back, yes, it was. I can even picture the guy, wearing his tractor hat. This all happened over 25 years ago, on my 21st birthday and I still remember it. 

This stuff hurts, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment