Saturday, February 18, 2012

orchids

There was an article in today's newspaper about orchids. Yes, they are uniquely beautiful - it's easy to see why they have captivated humankind for thousands of years. Even now, orchid enthusiasts collect them, some even creating hybrids and letting them take over their homes! 

Still, I wonder if instead of focusing on aesthetics, what if people were to put their attention on other attributes? Oh, say... nectar production? If I had an environment that was conducive to growing orchids, I could see myself becoming obsessed with creating a tropical paradise with the intent of attracting as many hummingbirds as possible. And I imagine that would mean lots of the color red in the plants and flowers, and more importantly, copious amounts of nectar. 

Nectar from flower blossoms is a much more satisfying way to feed hummingbirds, considering how it just looks more natural, wouldn't you say? And I believe the opinion that flower-produced nectar contains enough trace amounts of minerals, or whatever, that makes it more nutritious than the sugar water that fills the typical hummingbird feeder.

So, my ideal garden would contain the plants that are most suitable to both my climate and attracting hummingbirds (food, shelter, perching and preening, etc.), and then perhaps a bonus of an orchid garden with a mix of the most simply beautiful varieties, plus the ones that produce the most nectar. Aside of course with me working to produce a native plant garden that best serves a thriving ecosystem with little demand for 'intensive care.'

No comments:

Post a Comment