Friday, August 20, 2010

breathe, just breathe

At some point, the entries on my Facebook wall went up exponentially; it seems that all the things I listed as things I liked were automatically put on as 'likes' on their corresponding fan pages. I've recently gotten wall posts about 'Heart', 'Crowded House', 'Mad Men' - many more.

The most pleasant surprise lately was hearing from Anna Nalick. You see, it was maybe two years ago that I finally discovered her for myself on YouTube. I happened to click on the video for her song 'Breathe (2 am)' and I remembered hearing it on the radio. I learned that it had really gained in popularity when it was used on the TV show 'Grey's Anatomy.' It's easy to imagine that song being used in a scene from that show.

So I was quite excited seeking out what information I could about her. I spent hours on YouTube finding more I could listen to (back when I could access YouTube without locking up my browser - I seriously need to upgrade). One of my favorite performances was her singing 'Breathe' live with just a single acoustic guitar (played by her band's guitarist) for accompaniment. A gorgeous song, and it doesn't hurt that Anna is mighty fetching herself!

I also managed to find a website where she frequently updated an online journal, documenting her thoughts about the tour she was on back then. But my timing was terrible, because just when I was getting into her, her entries stopped and it seemed that she had disappeared from the music scene entirely, with just one formal studio album release 'Wreck of the Day' and an EP called 'Shine.'

Well, just as quickly as she disappeared (and I couldn't ever figure out where she went), she's started making music again! She's scheduling performances, updating her Facebook fans about where she'll be performing. If I should ever see her live, I hope she sings one of my favorite songs of hers, 'Home.' To my knowledge, it isn't available as a studio recording and I've only found a couple of live performances that were posted on YouTube. And not only do I hope she includes it in concert, but I hope she records it in the studio. It's one of those songs I could listen to over and over again. Although I would find myself pretending she's singing it about me, it seems that she's really singing about her cat. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment