Wednesday, August 18, 2010

another hazard for catchers

Watching the Giants game last night, I saw a potentially horrific thing happen: the Phillies batter utilized the frightful technique of letting the bat go with one hand in his follow-through after swinging at a pitch, which enabled the bat to hit new star catcher Buster Posey smack in the back of the head, if not the back of his neck. I hate whenever I see that happen; perhaps I should be happy it doesn't happen more often. Posey went down for awhile, and although he stayed in the game, I have to think he played the rest of the game with a major headache. I don't know what can be done to prevent this from happening in the future, as nothing is being done now. As if playing catcher isn't hazardous enough as it is. Thank goodness they wear lots of protection to protect their heads, front and back. Maybe they need to wear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment