Saturday, July 31, 2010

one year anniversary

Hey, it was one year ago today that I had brain surgery! I still have a pretty clear picture in my mind of having to show up at the hospital at 6 a.m., going through the checking-in process, waiting in the 1st floor lobby area, then making our way up to the operating floor and having the surgeon shave the part of my head that was going to be cut into. Pretty much on the dot, they started wheeling me in at 8:30... I was under anesthesia before I knew it.

The waiting time was more difficult for my family - I didn't start coming back to until the late afternoon. I don't even remember their first visit to me, but I'm told I conversed a little bit with them.

Anyway, I've probably healed as much as I'm going to - I still wonder how much of my aches and pains and what-not are due to the tumor (the surgeon could only safely remove 90% of it) and how much is due to getting older.

Not related to the tumor, I decided this past weekend to more or less eliminate the consumption of red meat and poultry from my diet (allowing a taste every now and then) to try to manage my blood pressure and triglycerides. I'm reminded of a quote from a woman whom I once worked in the same office with: "It's no fun getting old."

************

What else is today? It appears it's the birthday of both Harry Potter and author J.K. Rowling. What a coincidence... what are the odds?

No comments:

Post a Comment