Wednesday, July 28, 2010

finches on the salvias

Just this afternoon, I was looking at the Cleveland salvia shrubs that are at the front of the house. Three of the four are done flowering and their flowering stalks are drying. I'm glad I've taken the time to observe them, because it seems each of the last few times I looked, a bunch of birds were on them. The delicate flowers are very attractive to the bees, and rarely I've seen a hummingbird sipping some nectar. But now I am aware that birds such as finches are finding seeds to feed on when the flowering is done. So I'll put off deadheading for awhile longer until I'm sure that the birds are done with them. And I'll keep the flowering stalks on my white sage as well; they're dry, but still very striking to look at and probably getting some good use too.

No comments:

Post a Comment