Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Spam on pizza?

Yes, I'm serious!

I happen to like Spam. The most I have in common with Hawaiians, I suppose, is my penchant for Spam. Spam, eggs, and rice... I could really go for that.

So for the last couple of weeks, the thought occurred to me that Spam on pizza would be delicious. And in what must be the power of thought, lo and behold there was an article in this past weekend's newspaper about a town in Minnesota that has the Spam museum. It's near where the headquarters for Hormel is located, and the town itself celebrates the tasty spiced ham product in general.

In the article, the writer mentions different eating establishments that have Spam on the menu, and there is actually a pizza place that serves it as a topping option. The most popular combination also includes pineapple, which makes sense; it's essentially a Hawaiian pizza with Spam instead of Canadian bacon. Sounds good to me!

Now, the writer seems to have some misgivings about the ingredient - obviously someone who doesn't already have a love for it. The Spam itself seems to have been cubed, thereby leaving it a bit spongy for the writer's taste. In my imaginings before the article, I was wondering myself how I would cut the pieces to best work on pizza. What I had decided was that thinly sliced strips, 1" x 2" in dimension, seemed about right. Diced cubes, I agree, may not be the best choice. Of course, experimenting with different cuts would be the best way to go until the best 'bite' was achieved.

Instead of thinking a local pizza place that served Spam as a topping into existence, I should probably just bake one myself. I could use a ready-made pizza crust like Boboli, get the mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, pineapple cubes, and naturally, the ingredient of the day, Spam. And add other ingredients to taste. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment