Monday, December 5, 2011

game 12 - Rams vs. 49ers

142.3

Now that's a number I can live with!!! That was Alex Smith's quarterback rating in yesterday's victory over the St. Louis Rams, the highest of his career. I know, I know, numbers and statistics can be misleading, but he did play a very good game yesterday. What was really satisfying were the accuracy of his passes, which speaks of his confidence this season. It'd be easy to wonder what if he came into this very system with these same coaches the year he was drafted... but they weren't coaching the 49ers back then anyway, and things happen for a reason (or so they say). But isn't it a feel-good story? Comeback Player of the Year, perhaps?

Many of his passes were so spot-on, they made me think of the best of the best in the NFL today: Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Nestled in there perfectly, perfect arc, perfect speed, perfect anticipation and location. And what's perhaps even more exciting is he still seems to be improving each and every week! And really, he's still young enough where he could almost be thought of to be just starting out in the league. Right system, right circumstances, right team... How much better can he get? I can't wait to see. The best is yet to come.

********

Now I mentioned wide receiver Kyle Williams in a previous game entry; I'd like to give a shout-out to Michael Crabtree today. I happen to like his attitude and demeanor. He seems both humble and team-oriented to me. Yes, his career with the team got off to a rocky start with the hold-out and missing pre-season games. And I've heard he has a thing for fashion and shoes (I mean really); no matter though - I happen to like how he comes across in interviews. He appears soft-spoken and positive. Of course, what is most important to fans like me is he has good hands, runs crisp routes, is good at avoiding tackles, blocks downfield, and the West Coast offense fits his abilities to a 'T'. All these positive vibes emanating from the Niners this season are blossoming everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment