Saturday, November 19, 2011

Marian the librarian

I was watching a Music Choice channel not long ago and enjoyed a song by one of my favorite bands, Heart. Besides playing songs, Music Choice also offers little tidbits and factoids about the artists, their songs, albums, and various other trivia to add to the interest of whatever they're playing.

In this case, one of the bits of trivia they showed is that when lead singer Ann Wilson joined the band, Heart was 'an all-male band from British Columbia' or something like that. How I sometimes like to keep myself entertained is I alter information. In this case, instead of 'all-male band,' I substituted 'all-male barbershop quartet.' (!) Then beyond that, I imagined something like: 'At the time, Heart was known mostly for performing in local Vancouver and Seattle-area productions of 'The Music Man' as the Barbershop Quartet (the school board).' If you're familiar with Steve Fossen and Roger Fisher from early Heart, as well as the musical 'The Music Man,' maybe you can picture this in your mind too, although Steve and Roger aren't known for their singing.

Then with this idea still on my mind a few days later, I completed my revisionist history: 'Ann met the other band members when she was cast as Marian the Librarian in one of these productions.' And so I've been imagining young Ann Wilson acting and singing the role made famous by Shirley Jones ever since. Cute and quite good!

No comments:

Post a Comment