Monday, November 7, 2011

game 8 - 49ers vs. Redskins

It's all a matter of exceeding expectations, isn't it? Going into this season, the 49ers had no expectations, just anticipation. So simply winning at all was such a thrill. And the post-game celebrations were full of joy. But after yesterday's victory over the Redskins, I heard the 49ers locker room was rather subdued... because now they expect to win and are approaching the rest of this season in a workman-like manner.

I think I wrote this somewhere in this blog in the past, the idea of simply exceeding expectations being almost better than the end result. The example I may have used at the time involved how a figure skater not expected to medal at all and getting the bronze can actually be congratulated and lauded more than the skater whom got the silver, but was expected to get the gold. For the Niners, after almost 10 years of missing the playoffs and pretty much stinking up the gridiron, they are now virtually assumed to be going to the post-season, and with their record of success so far this season, are pretty much expected to go deep into the playoffs. Anything less then playing in the NFC Championship Game will probably be looked at as a disappointment.

No matter how the rest of this season progresses, I hope that I am able to enjoy their raised level of play. Am I thinking lofty thoughts? Sure! Do I have dreams of a sixth Lombardi trophy? Yes, I certainly do! But what's important is how the team is being put together for the long run. If Jim Harbaugh remains the head coach for the next 10 years or more, I'm thinking that obtaining several more Lombardi trophies is awfully realistic. Just as Bill Walsh brought a style of football that the rest of the league had to adjust to, Jim Harbaugh is doing the same now. It's an exciting time to be a 49ers fan and I hope I remember to enjoy it for all that it is, regardless of how far they go this season (Super Bowl victory).

No comments:

Post a Comment