Wednesday, July 20, 2011

cereal alchemy

Yes, I like eating breakfast cereal in the mornings. Not every morning, but maybe every few days when I have a taste for it. There were many years when I couldn't because of my lactose intolerance, which started sometime in my mid-teens. I'd be so jealous of people that could enjoy cereal, such as when I was in the dining hall in college and other students could choose cereal whereas I couldn't.

I posted on this blog sometime ago a product that has allowed me to enjoy cereal again called 'Rice Dream.' Being completely non-dairy, it works for me! It tastes good and substitutes for milk very well.

What I've noticed as I've gotten older is my inability to eat sweets as much as when I was younger. Not so much in a dietary sense, but I just don't like the taste of food that is too sweet. So when it comes to cereal, for example, I don't like a bowl full of straight frosted flakes, but rather I prefer frosted flakes 'cut' with regular corn flakes, something like half and half.

And more so than when I was growing up, I enjoy mixing and matching different cereals into the same bowl. I'm getting more like my late mom, who would mix all kinds of different cereals together. I'm not yet to the level in which she would do it, but I sense that I am getting closer and closer. For now, different kinds of flakes mixed together works pretty well, but I can see myself enjoying a real mixture of flavors and textures as time goes on, i.e. flakes mixed with chex mixed with puffs, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment