Thursday, June 30, 2011

hit the ball and run!

I'm watching the Giants play the Cubs right now, and am reminded of the biggest hit of my baseball playing days:

I was in my first season in the league, playing for the Braves. Okay, okay, so it was Jr. Optimist, akin to Little League, and I was in grade school. Now back to my reflection: I was playing in a game and I was at bat - and this one time I hit the ball harder than I had ever hit a ball before. I hit that ball fully square and it felt good... it felt right. And I put my head down and ran.

I rounded first base, and then kept running towards second base. And being that I had put my head down and ran from the time I hit the ball, I had no idea where I had hit it. NO idea. And luckily the kindly man that was umpiring at second base that day, and who I happened to know because he was the father of one of my teammates, said: "Congratulations Arthur! You hit a ground-rule double!"

It was a good thing he told me that. Mostly because, like I mentioned, I had no idea where I had hit the ball in the first place, and I likely would have kept running until someone tagged me out. And also, well, I've never hit a home run, ever, in my life, but a ground-rule double was a nice consolation prize! That means it must have been darn close to being a home run. Not a home run, but pretty close! Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment