Tuesday, October 5, 2010

popular names

Okay, how about a break from football?

So, how about the name Emily? Way back when, I remember thinking how much I liked the name Emily, mostly because my favorite song by Simon & Garfunkel was (and still is) For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her, a live performance of which I grew up listening to from their album 'Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits.' Beautiful lyrics and exquisitely performed, a voice accompanied by a guitar; it was only later that I picked up the album 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme' which has the studio recording of the song - I much prefer the simpler, live version.

Ever since, I have loved the name Emily and thought it would be a nice name for a daughter if I ever had one, but then again, what an old-fashioned name! There was Emily Dickinson, the poet, and who else? Maybe it wouldn't be a good name for a little girl after all.

It's been pretty amusing, then, to see the name Emily become so popular over the years! I believe it was the number one name for awhile.

********

For a long time, I'd also been thinking about naming a son Harry, the name of one of my late uncles (he was killed back in World War II, as a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Force, many years before I was born). Again, a very old-fashioned name, but one that has since become quite popular too: Prince Harry, Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment