Friday, October 1, 2010

the coordinator carousel

I wonder what new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Johnson's career goals are? I realize I'm being way too premature about all this, seeing that he has yet to call a game for the Niners as head honcho of their offense and all, but I can't help but think about it...

The 49ers have had a series of offensive coordinators over the years, approximately one per year for awhile now
(don't quote me on that, but I think that's about right), ever since the Yorks took over as owners of the team and fired Steve Mariucci (I was upset about that). While in many cases their coordinators just plain didn't work out, in others their coordinators left because they were sought after to be head coaches for other teams - a nice little promotion: Mike McCarthy with the Green Bay Packers and Norv Turner with the San Diego Chargers come to mind. Those are cases, I suppose, of the Niners choosing too well. I wonder how a team goes about choosing an awesome OC that will actually stay with the team and provide the continuity that is so important?

Which leads me back to Mike Johnson: what if he turns out to be really, really good (something I really, really hope)? What if the Niners turn their season around and actually make a run for the playoffs? What if the offense rises to the top of the league? What are his aspirations, because if he becomes a great success, let's hope he stays with the team for years to come. Maybe, just maybe, the 49ers have finally assembled the coaching staff that will lead the team to more Super Bowl championships!

No comments:

Post a Comment