Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cat Stevens: Father and Son (live)

One of the albums I grew up with is Cat Stevens: Greatest Hits. I don't remember ever hearing this song on the radio and only became familiar with it from the record. 

I'm finding, naturally, that the older I get, the more I see things from the father's perspective. 



I like to imagine creating a video comprised of this performance and a recent one by Yusuf Islam also singing this song and having them side-by-side, each taking half the screen. 

When it's the "father's" turn to sing, I would show only Yusuf, and I would have Cat singing the role of the "son," fading to black the one not singing using the sound effect of a stage light going out, and the light only illuminating the one singing when it's their turn. Alternating back and forth. Does that make sense? 

I imagine it being done seamlessly, like they're both performing at the same time. Done so well that I'd hope that at least one person viewing it (and who doesn't know any better) thinks to themselves: "Are they really father and son? Because they sound alike, and they even look kind of alike!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment