Friday, August 23, 2013

The Rubinoos: I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend; Avril Lavigne: Girlfriend

Keeping on with artists from the Beserkley record label, today I present the Rubinoos, so named after lead singer Jon Rubin (the guy standing in the middle of the stage in the clip). This clip is a very recent concert by The Rubinoos who still perform together occasionally after all these years.

I used to play my cassette tape of the Rubinoos so much in my dorm room that it drove my roommate crazy! Sorry, Mike. 

Who could ever have foreseen that a certain Canadian rocker grrrl (and I believe I spelled "grrrl" correctly) would years later be sued by the songwriters of the Rubinoos' popular song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" for her song "Girlfriend" because they claimed it sounded too similar?





I'll let you decide. 



Apparently, in defense, the claim was made that the Rubinoos song itself sounded a bit too much like "Get Off of My Cloud" by the Rolling Stones. Or that both songs sounded like the Stones' song. 

The case was settled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment